Established in 2005, the New Zealand International Wine Show is the largest wine competition held in New Zealand each year. Wines from any country and from any variety can be entered and this year 2130 entries were received from 12 countries resulting in 206 gold medals being awarded.
The Show took place from the 8th to the 10th September and was chaired by Bob Campbell MW, New Zealand’s most experienced senior wine judge and this country’s leading wine educator. Assistant chief judges were Larry McKenna, Peter Cowley and John Hancock.
For the 6th time a Chardonnay has been crowned the Nissan Champion Wine of the Show. The Champion in the very strong Chardonnay class, where 27 gold medals medals were awarded, Northland can celebrate the success for Rod MacIvor and his Marsden Black Rocks Chardonnay 2013.
Also notable is the Trophy achieved by Matua for winning the Trophy for Champion Shiraz/Syrah. The Matua Single Vineyard Matheson Syrah 2013 was judged the Champion wine from the 40 gold medals awarded in the Shiraz/Syrah class and was one of nine kiwi Syrahs to get a gold medal in this competitive class.
The Akarua Central Otago Pinot Noir 2013 continued a remarkable run of awards for this winery and it was interesting to note that 11 of the gold medals awarded from total of 14, in the Pinot Noir class were from the 2013 vintage.
It’s another glorious collection of world class wines.
In total the judges awarded 206 golds, 428 silvers and 961 bronze medals.
The Trophy winners listed below were announced at the Awards Dinner on September 27th, 2014. They all won gold medals in their respective classes and have been singled out by the Judges as the 'Best of the Best'.
- Waimea Classic Nelson Riesling 2013 - A stunning off dry to medium style with juicy tropical fruit, honeysuckle, mandarin and a touch of ginger-like spice. Succulent, fresh, lively and terrific summer drinking.
- Brightwater Vineyards Lord Rutherford Barrique Chardonnay 2012
- Brightwater Vineyards Nelson Pinot Gris 2014
- Waimea Sauvignon Blanc 2014
- Waimea Classic Riesling 2013
- Aronui Nelson Single Vineyard Pinot Gris 2014
- Blackenbrook Nelson Pinot Gris 2014
- Sea Level Home Block Pinot Gris 2014
- Kaimira Estate Brightwater Chardonnay 2010
- Waimea Chardonnay 2013
- Kina Cliffs Sauvignon Blanc 2013
- Old Coach Road Nelson Sauvignon Blanc 2014
- Seifried Nelson Sauvignon Blanc 2014
- Greenhough Apple Valley Riesling 2014
- Kahurangi Estate Nelson Dry Riesling 2011
- Kahurangi Estate Nelson Dry Riesling 2010
- Old Coach Road Nelson Gewürztraminer 2013
- Old Coach Road Nelson Gewürztraminer 2014
- Milcrest Estate Pinot Gris 2013
- Seifried Nelson Pinot Gris 2014
- Te Mania Pinot Gris 2014
- Waimea Albarino 2014
- Seifried Winemakers Collection Nelson 'Sweet Agnes' Riesling 2012
- Middle-Earth Pinot Meunier Rosé 2014